U.S. Immunizations Untitled 1

U.S. Immunizations

 International students studying in the United States will be happy to learn they do not need any shots or vaccinations to enter the country. However, many universities will require all students to have certain vaccinations, before they can register for classes.  Check with the school regarding their policy for immunizations before you leave your home country.

The following list contains traditional university-required vaccinations students must have.

* Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): Most people in the United States are vaccinated for these diseases as children. It is recommended any adult who hasn't been vaccinated, or has had all three diseases - receive one vaccination dose.

* Meningitis: Students younger than 55 should receive the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4). For anyone older than 16, only one dose is needed. Students older than 55 need the meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine (MPSV4).

* Hepatitis B: A series of doses is needed for full vaccination protection against this disease. Adults are recommended to get three doses of the Hepatitis B vaccine. The second dose is scheduled four weeks after the first, and the third dose is schedule five months after the second.

*While not a requirement, it's also recommended for college students to get the flu shot annually. This traditionally happens in the fall months, between August and December, and protects the patient for one year.

The university you attend may have additional requirements, and will provide that information on its website. Because college campuses are close quarters, the spread of diseases is harder to contain. It is highly recommended students receive these immunizations prior to coming to the United States, and to bring with them proof of immunization for the university records.

Get Started Now!

Interested in a work and study opportunity in the U.S.? Fill out our short form and we'll have a representative contact right away with a work-study opportunity.